Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition winners announced at Discovery 2017
Toronto - Six high-school entrepreneurs were announced as winners of the Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition at this year's Discovery, hosted by Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE).
The annual competition, which is presented by OCE and the Ministry of Economic Development and Growth (MEDG), is celebrating five years of support for aspiring high-school entrepreneurs from across Ontario. Over 200 students applied to Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch by pitching their business ideas in a two-minute video, and 20 students were chosen as finalists from online voting and judges scores.
Each finalist was awarded a trip to Toronto to pitch their ideas live at OCE's Discovery 2017 conference and showcase, May 15-16, in front of a panel of judges from the entrepreneur community.
From those 20 finalists, the following six have emerged as the winners;
• Alessandra Kempson and team of Sudbury for the company Stitch It MMA (Marymount Academy)
• Raymond Tran of Windsor for the company LITLYTE (Hon. W.C. Kennedy Collegiate Institute)
• Jeremy Chevalley of Ottawa for the company Moo Call and Clip (Académie de la Seigneurie)
• Ben Jacobs and team of Mississauga for the company Travale (St. Marcellinus Secondary School)
• Alice Chen and team of Oakville for the company Advena (White Oaks Secondary School)
• Anjana Somasundaram and team of Scarborough for the company Müla (Don Mills Collegiate Institute)
"Congratulations to our winners and all the finalists who participated in the Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition this year," says Brad Duguid, Minister of Economic Development and Growth. "It was wonderful to meet the finalists and hear all about their incredible ideas. I'm confident they will develop into tomorrow's next generation of business leaders."
Each of the winners receives up to $3,000 in start-up funds, reserved entry into the Ontario Summer Company program, entrepreneurial mentorship and other awards.
"At OCE, we are committed to supporting the next generation of innovators, entrepreneurs and thought leaders in Ontario, and I would like to congratulate all of this year's entrants, finalists and winners," says Dr. Tom Corr, President and CEO, OCE. "The Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition consistently impresses me as our province's high-school students demonstrate a high level of creativity, knowledge and ingenuity year after year."