Vrbanovic seek 2nd term as Mayor of Kitchener
Dear Friends, four years ago, I chose to run for Mayor of Kitchener, because I believe passionately in our people and our community. I worked with you to build a better Kitchener that is founded on strong neighbourhoods and a growing economy. I had a clear vision for our future, with a plan to achieve that vision and asked you for your help to make it all happen. I am committed to our progress and ongoing success and welcome your continued support as I put my name forward to continue serving as your Mayor of Kitchener in this year’s municipal election.
Together, we made a lot of progress over the past four years:
With input from over 5,000 Kitchener residents (the equivalent of 3 people on every street in the city), we approved the City’s first-ever neighbourhood strategy, known as #lovemyhood.
• We organized the City’s first-ever Neighbours Day in 2015,
• We created a new Neighbourhood Development Office and,
• We created several new programs for residents to build more community gardens, operate more neighbourhood markets and paint more crosswalk and intersection murals on their streets.
This term we also approved our new Make It Kitchener economic development strategy focused on helping businesses grow while also attracting new business and bringing well-paying jobs to our community.
• We collaborated across municipalities in our region to create a single economic development corporation to work together attracting new companies and jobs from around the world.
• We created the Toronto-Waterloo Innovation Corridor to attract new jobs, increase investment in our community and improve our ability to compete against other global cities.
• We supported Communitech to continue serving as the economic heart of our local technology industry, helping them grow and add jobs in our community.
• And we secured $11 billion from the province to build a high-speed rail link between Toronto-Guelph-Kitchener and London and to establish all-day GO rail service from Kitchener to Toronto and back.
A Better Kitchener:
We accomplished all of this while strengthening the City of Kitchener’s financial position, including:
• limiting property tax rate increases to the rate of inflation,
• reducing our debts, and,
• making responsible decisions about increasing utility rates to fund improvements to secure our water infrastructure and resources for future generations.
A recent survey of more than 1,000 Kitchener residents confirmed that we are moving in the right direction with investments and focus on responsible municipal government. These levels of community support are a strong endorsement of the work we have accomplished together, but they do not mean our journey to build a better Kitchener is complete.
We have more to do
And, all of this work needs to be done with a strong and deliberate focus on ensuring all of our residents, regardless of their background or financial abilities, collectively celebrate our success.
Over many decades, and through the hard work of thousands of city-builders like you, Kitchener has become the envy of most other Canadian cities. I am committed to our progress and continued success and welcome your continued support in this Fall’s municipal election.
Over the coming months I look forward to continuing to listen to your concerns, and together determining how we continue to move our community forward.
Together, we can make our great city even better – for everyone. I am asking for your support on October 22, 2018 to help make that happen.
Sincerely, Berry Vrbanovic