Almost 300 people gathered in Cambridge to honour the efforts of all those who supported United Way Waterloo Region Communities’ 2018 fundraising campaign. The awards ceremony took place at Whistle Bear Golf Club in Cambridge and celebrated the donors, business partners, workplace champions, labour leaders, community advocates and dedicated volunteers who helped make the 2018 campaign a success.
“Without the exemplary dedication and commitment of donors and volunteers, we could not continue to do what needs to be done to support Waterloo Region,” says CEO Joan Fisk. “The Spirit Awards allow us to thank our partners and supporters while continuing to demonstrate the persistent need and how the community can come together to address those needs. United Way is part of a national and global movement that acts locally. The funding we provide is second only to the provincial government and we work with our local partner agencies to ensure this funding supports the systems and programs needed so everyone has a chance to live their best lives.”
United Way Waterloo Region Communities was also very proud to announce the winner of the inaugural Ken Seiling Community Leader Award.
This award recognized an exemplary public leader who, through extraordinary contributions and outstanding commitment, has driven the spirit of community through personal involvement and initiative.
2019 Spirit Award Nominees and Winners
Winner: Conestoga College
· Waterloo North Hydro
· Conestoga College
· Economical Insurance
· Girard, Pilkey & Associates Wealth Management
Labour Community Partnership
Winner: Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario, Waterloo Region
· Waterloo Regional Labour Council
· Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario, Waterloo Region
· Unifor Kitchener Regional Office
· United Steelworkers Local 4610
· United Steelworkers South Central Ontario Area Council.
Spirit of Community
Winner: Waterloo Regional Police Service
• Kara Klypycz, The Pumpkin Queen of Cambridge
• Christian Snyder, Smile.io
• The partnership of Sleep Country Canada, Region of Waterloo, and Mill Creek Motor Freight
• Paula Saunders (retired), Independent Living Centre
• Chris Prosser, The Literacy Group
• Waterloo Regional Police Service
Outstanding Workplace Campaign (Large Organization)
• Rockwell Automation
• University of Waterloo
• Energy+ Inc.
• Gore Mutual Insurance Company
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada
• Sun Life Financial
Outstanding Workplace Campaign (Small to Mid-Size Organization)
Winner: Clarion Medical Technologies
• P&H Milling Group
• Toyota Tsusho Canada Inc. /Maple Automotive Corporation/Green Metals Canada Inc.
• Clarion Medical Technologies
• Enbridge Gas Inc.
• BMO Financial Group
• TD Bank Group
Outstanding Volunteer Contribution
Winner: Enbridge Gas Inc. Campaign Committee
• Bill Conway, Rockwell Automation
• Brenda Schmidt, Region of Waterloo
• Enbridge Gas Inc. Campaign Committee
• University of Waterloo Campaign Committee
• Jessie White and Linda Lachance, BMO Financial Group
• Landon Jennings
• Sun Life Financial Campaign Committee
• The Literacy Group
• Extend-a-Family Waterloo Region
• Kinbridge Community Association
• Shalom Counselling Services
• YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo
The Ken Seiling Community Leader Award
Winners: Robert and Judy Astley