Lieutenant Governor to open new building at Renison University College
The Hon. David Onley continues Vice-regal office’s relationship with Waterloo-based University College
Waterloo Tomorrow the Hon. David Onley, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, will be in attendance to officially open Renison’s newest building, the East Side Extension. This extension, which includes additional classrooms, a student lounge and office space, accommodates the growing size and number of academic programs offered by Renison University College.
“We are delighted to have the Lieutenant Governor with us to open the East Side Extension and mark this new growth at Renison,” said Dr. Glenn F. Cartwright, Renison’s Principal and Vice-Chancellor. “Renison University College’s relationship with the Canadian Crown, through the office of the Lieutenant Governor, is greatly valued. Renison is excited to celebrate this step in our ongoing development with both His Honour and our wider community.”
The ongoing relationship between Renison and the Office of Lieutenant Governor stretches back to the University College’s very beginnings. The Honourable J. Keiller MacKay, Ontario’s Lieutenant Governor from 1957-1963, laid the cornerstone of Renison University College’s first building, the Founders Building, in 1962. Subsequently, two Lieutenant Governors, the Hon. John B. Aird (1985) and the Hon. Lincoln M. Alexander (1989), were named Honorary Senior Fellows of Renison University College.
Having grown significantly since the 1960s, Renison University College, affiliated with the University of Waterloo, has added 3 new buildings and is home to 220 resident students. Renison annually offers courses to almost 9000 students in areas of study that include Social Development Studies, Social Work, Religious Studies, Psychology, Studies in Islam, and East Asian Studies.