Best in Architecture and Design Showcased as Ontario Association of Architects Releases 2016 Design Excellence Finalists
Toronto Demonstrating the best in architectural design and innovation, finalists of the 2016 Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) Awards feature Canada’s top projects by Ontario architects, ranging from contemporary public libraries to thoughtfully-designed private residences.
Representing Ontario’s emerging new talent and some of the province’s most established architecture firms, 20 entries have been shortlisted for the prestigious Design Excellence category this year. During the month of March, each of the 20 finalists will be featured on the OAA blOAAg.
Winners in categories including Design Excellence, Concepts, Landmark Designation, Best Emerging Practice, G. Randy Roberts Service Award, Honour Roll, Lifetime Design Achievement Award and Order of da Vinci will be announced on April 1.
Selected from almost 200 submissions, the 20 finalists for this year’s OAA Design Excellence Awards have been recognized by a jury of peers from the design community on the following criteria:
• Creativity: The innovative nature of the design solution.
• Context: The contribution a project makes to its unique location, to neighbouring uses and to community building.
Sustainability: The contribution the project makes to a sustainable environment.
• Considers project design merits and the reduced use of raw materials and dependence on fossil fuels, as well as projects that achieve high quality interior environments with regards to daylighting, air quality and material use.
• Good Design/Good Business: The degree to which the project creatively supports and interprets the business and architectural goals of the client through programming and design.
• Legacy: The contribution of the project in establishing a new benchmark for architectural excellence.
Celebrating leadership in architecture, winners across all categories will be recognized and honoured in Toronto on May 13 to conclude the 2016 OAA Annual Conference.
2016 OAA Awards - Design Excellence Finalists
• Aga Khan Museum - Moriyama & Teshima Architects in association with Maki and Associates - Toronto, ON
Borden Park Pavilion - gh3 architecture - Edmonton, AB
• Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre - MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd. and HIP Architects in joint venture - Edmonton, AB
• Curtiss Kitchen and Dining Facility - ZAS Architects and Jean-Christian Koch Architecte in joint venture - Borden, ON
• Daniels Spectrum - Diamond Schmitt Architects Incorporated -Toronto, ON
• George Brown College, Waterfront Campus -Stantec Architecture Ltd. and KPMB Architects in joint venture -Toronto, ON
• Go Home Bay Cabin - Ian McDonald Architect Inc. - Georgian Bay Township, ON
• Grange Triple Double - Williamson Chong Architects - Toronto, ON
• Harbord Towns - Superkül Inc. Architect - Toronto, ON
• Old Main Academic Building Addition, Thompson River University - Diamond Schmitt Architects Incorporated and Stantec Architecture Ltd. (Associate Architect) - Kamloops, BC
• Prince Arthur’s Landing, Thunder Bay Waterfront - Brook McIlroy Inc. - Thunder Bay, ON
• Redstone Winery - Sweeny &Co. Architects Inc. - Beamsville, ON
• Richard Ivey Building, Ivey Business School, Western University - Hariri Pontarini Architects - London, ON
• Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre, University of British Columbia - KPMB Architects & HCMA Architecture + Design in joint venture - Vancouver, BC
• Skygarden House - Dubbeldam Architecture + Design - Toronto, ON
• Stade de soccer Montréal - Saucier + Perrotte Architectes/Hughes Condon Marler Architects (now HCMA Architecture + Design) - Montréal, QC
• Surrey Operations Centre and Works Yard Redevelopment - Taylor Kurtz Architecture + Design Inc. & Rounthwaite Dick & Hadley Architects Inc. (Design Architect) - Surrey, BC
• The Mississauga Public Library Project - Rounthwaite Dick & Hadley Architects Inc. - Mississauga, ON
• The Waterdown Library and Civic Centre - Rounthwaite Dick & Hadley Architects Inc. - Waterdown, ON
• Toronto Public Library Scarborough Civic Centre Branch - LGA Architectural Partners Inc. and Phillip H. Carter, Architect in joint venture - Toronto, ON
2016 OAA Award Juries
The 2016 Award finalists and winners were chosen by juries made up of those who influence and contribute to the Ontario design community.
Design Excellence, Michael V. and Wanda Plachta & Lieutenant Governor’s Award:
CHAIR David Covo, Associate Professor & Past Director (1996-2007) of the School of Architecture at McGill University
Thomas Burns, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Allied Properties REIT
Brigitte Desrochers, Program Officer, Architecture Canada Council for the Arts
Glenn O’Connor, Landscape Architect, Past President of OALA, Partner of FORREC, Designers of Entertainment Environments
Vladimir Popovic, Partner, N45 Architecture Inc.
CHAIR Patrick Saavedra, University Architect & Director, Planning, Architecture and Renewal Projects, York University
Karen Bromley, Production Designer
Jonathan Friedman, Partner, PARTISANS
Jill Stoner, Director, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism at Carleton University
Landmark, Honour Roll, G. Randy Roberts Service Award, Order of da Vinci & Best Emerging Practice:
CHAIR Leslie Klein, Co-Founder & Principal, Quadrangle Architects
Toon Dreessen, OAA President 2016
Jason Dobbin, Chair, Toronto Society of Architects
Diana Osborne, Architect, Osborne Architects
OAA Celebration of Excellence Awards and Dinner, May 13
The 2016 OAA Design Excellence award winners will be celebrated in Toronto at the Allstream Centre on May 13 at the Celebration of Excellence Ceremony, capping off the 2016 OAA Conference.
At this time, additional winners in the categories of Lieutenant Governor’s Award, Michael V & Wanda Plachta Award and the People’s Choice Award will be revealed.