Applications Now Open for Smart Grid Projects
Province Fundng Ontario’s Clean Energy Future
Queens Park - Ontario is accepting a new round of project applications for the Smart Grid Fund, in order to support the ongoing development of a modern, intelligent electricity system.
The Smart Grid Fund supports projects that test, develop and bring to market the next generation of energy grid solutions, helping consumers and businesses manage energy costs, improve conservation efforts, and integrate new beneficial technologies like electric vehicles and storage.
This round of funding will support advanced energy technology functions and project focus areas such as:
• Consumer-focused initiatives that seek to optimize smart technologies and systems by involving customers as active energy sector participants
• Self-healing grids that can perform fault location, isolation and service restoration using automated technologies and communication systems
• Enhanced fault prevention that can precisely detect faults while protecting equipment and enabling faster response
• Automated voltage control solutions to automatically track, operate, and optimise voltage levels on feeders
• Dynamic capacity rating that accurately monitors line conditions in real time
• Microgrid solutions in either urban or remote settings
• Distributed energy resources monitoring and control, enabling more effective and efficient integration of these types of assets onto distribution systems
• Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) that improves accuracy and security of meter reading and enhances the utility’s ability to manage its system.
Building a smarter grid and supporting innovation is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.