Federal Budget 2016 - The NFU’s Recommendations
Saskatoon - The Federal Budget will be tabled in Parliament on March 22, 2016. The National Farmers Union (NFU) presented its recommendations to the House of Commons Finance Committee during its pre-budget consultation process.
The NFU is calling for the budget to:
• Rebuild agriculture institutions through return to prior funding levels (at least) and by renewing their commitment to the public interest.
• Support farm incomes by supporting effective institutions that provide farmers with market power.
• Refocus agricultural programs and policy on the principles of food sovereignty.
• Re-invest in public interest agriculture research, particularly public plant breeding
• Correct the damage caused by ending the single desk for wheat marketing
• Support young farmers to ensure there is a next generation of family farms
• Safeguard domestic food production for the long-term
• Support agriculture climate change mitigation and adaptation
• Implement universal pharmacare